Editors Canada invites all experienced industry leaders to submit webinar proposals on the following topics for the 2023 season. Members of Editors Canada and non-members are welcome to apply.
The topics are organized into different streams that we hope to offer over the next several years. We’re also open to other suggestions.
Stream: Developing Editing Skills, based on our Professional Editorial Standards:
- Structural Editing
- Stylistic Editing
- Copy Editing
- Webinars that cover specific standards, such as
- C10 Determine the language and reading level appropriate for the intended audience, medium and purpose, and edit to establish or maintain that language and level (e.g., by translating jargon into understandable terms, using vocabulary that is suitable to the material, dividing long or complicated sentences into simpler ones).
Stream: Marketing Your Editing Skills:
- How to market to government clients
- How to write successful tenders for public work
- How to prepare winning STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) proposals
- How to grow your fiction editing business
- How to grow your developmental editing for creative non-fiction business
- How to network and cultivate contacts
- What skills publishing houses look for in their editors, both in-house and freelance
- How editors can prepare themselves for in-house job opportunities
- Career development
Stream: General Interest:
- Tools for editors
- The editing process for non-editors (e.g., writers)
- The business of editing
- Niche editing (including genres, such as manga, annual reports, cookbooks, poetry and screenplays; and skills, such as indexing, fact checking, coaching writers and obtaining permissions)
All experienced presenters with expertise on these topics are welcome to apply by completing the Editors Canada webinar proposal form.
Send any questions to email@example.com